Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 2 in Haiti

Hey everyone. It has been a long day in Haiti. The groups all went to four different Orphanages, and unconditionally loved the children and made an impact in their lives. However there was one kid who made a HUGE impact in mine. As some of you know my family is currently dealing with a recent tragic death of a extended family member. I was debating on whether or not to even come to Haiti because of it. When I got to Haiti I found out that the funeral was this Sunday, and when I found that out I had to make a difficult decision on whether or not to leave Haiti and go to the funeral or stay and miss it. I talked to a group of people last night about it and we all decided that I just needed to pray to God and he would show me the answer. This morning I made the decision to stay in Haiti because I felt like God would have a purpose for me being here and he would show me what it was sometime during the week. Today at one of the Orphanages I was at, I had been hanging out and sharing the word of God with this boy, who was about 8 or 9 years old, for almost two hours. And as I was saying goodbye to him he came up to me and said these exact words, (by the way he spoke almost perfect English), “I know this may be awkward, but I truly love you. You have made a huge impact in my life and it means a lot to me.” When he said that to me I started balling. Right then and there I knew that God sent me here to spread his word and to love these kids like he loves me. This is just one of the ways that God showed me my reason for being here today. God truly works in some magical ways. I am excited to see what God has in store for me and the others here with me for the rest of my week. I am thankful that I was given this opportunity even with everything that has happened in my family recently.

With love,
McKenna Oldson



Hey Friends!!
 First let me just say the power of prayer has been amazing. The weather has been WONDERFUL! The sun is hot but always a breeze, the hotel is wonderful, and the children are rockin’! We woke up today and we headed to our orphanages! My group of twenty split in half and my group headed to a small orphanage across the highway. There were about thirty kids in the orphanage. Talk about being overjoyed! I have never had so much fun before! Although there is a language barrier Jesus was flowing through everyone in that village! The mama’s, the children, and us! Leaving the orphanage(s) is always hard and emotional. You always have at least three kids that cling to you! All I can say to them is “au revoi” which means goodbye in French. Tears always build up in both me and the children. I attended two orphanages today, leaving the last one arose some questions in me that I didn’t know the answer to. The question that arose was “why them?” There were orphans before the earthquake, there was poverty before the earthquake, and people were living in tents before the earthquake. Now after the earthquake there is so much more orphans, poverty, and tent cities. So why them? They do not deserve this! These children are the most happy, most fun loving kids I have ever and most likely ever will meet! Haiti has no more evil than any other place. So why shake up their world… literally? Being concerned with myself for asking these questions, the question arose in a conversation I was having the Kristen and Dawn. This question is not an awful question to be wrestling with, in fact after breaking down in front of our youth group I am not the only one wrestling with questions like these. The Lord loves the Haitians just as much as he loves everyone else in the world. I will not lie though I still do not have this question fully answered. I come to you all tonight with a hopeful heart that you all will continue to pray for all of us here. Several others of us are struggling with these questions. Thank you so much for the prayers and the prayers to come!

Love to you all from Haiti,
  Sarah Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment